|€300||June 1, 2019|
|Sorry, we are no longer accepting applications for this workshop.|
Dialogues in Painting: Traditional materials
This course examines the practical application of indirect painting techniques from historical and contemporary practice. Students will paint from the live model exploring an evolving process that ranges from the structure of the drawing to the tonal and chromatic structure. Emphasis in this course is on analytical seeing/interpreting of form.
Students will learn an overview of traditional and contemporary approaches to oil painting through creating a mid-size figure painting. The course will address:
- Drawing: design and composition
- Idea of form and space
- Tonal structure
- Warm/cool relationships
In class discussions and active painting exercises, students are encouraged to investigate their personal voices through painting media and how to connect the narrative of their own work with the concepts studied in class.
- Introduction and overview of the class.
- Lecture and demo: drawing (design and composition), idea of form and space, tonal structure
- Working from the model, students will create a tonal drawing based on the concepts from lecture.
- Lecture and demo: Tonal structure and developing a sense of form and space.
- Students will create a “shellac” underpainting to create a tonal painting.
- Lecture and demo: developing colour with a limited palette, understanding space, warm/cool relationships, paint application (glazing, impasto marks).
- Students will complete their painting from the model.
Jaclyn Dooner (b.1985) is a Brooklyn-based artist and native New Yorker. She received her MFA from the New York Academy of Art in May 2015, and her BFA from the University of Notre Dame in 2007. Through the Academy, she was awarded a residency at Mimar Sinan University in Istanbul, Turkey. Several of her recent works are part of the former US ambassador to Denmark, John L. Loeb Jr.’s permanent collection, which is noted for including the largest private collection of Vilhelm Hammershoi paintings outside of Denmark. Jaclyn has exhibited in group shows and art fairs in New York, Los Angeles, Copenhagen and Art Herning in Denmark.
Image 2: Jaclyn Dooner, Untitled (Brooklyn No.1), Oil on linen, 28 x 35.5cm, 2019. Image courtesy of the artist.