Throughout much of the 1970s and early 1980s Charles Tyrrell worked in a studio in Mountjoy Square, Dublin, a place which was then extremely run down dilapidated and akin to a war zone. At that time he was teaching in the painting department in Dun Laoghaire School of Art, the forerunner of IADT. In 1984 he and his young family made the radical move to a house and studio at the end of the Beara Peninsula in Co. Cork.
For the past 34 years he has developed his work in this extreme, elemental and rugged landscape. While always regarding himself as coming from an abstract, self-contained, minimal standpoint it is hard not to see strong connections with this environment coming through his work to varying degrees over the years.
Interested in the degree to which working in this environment affects his work he is excited at the prospect of returning to Dublin to work at the RHA for a six-month period and reconnect with the urban environment from which he started.
Charles Tyrrell was born in Trim, County Meath in 1950. He studied painting at the National College of Art and Design, Dublin. After graduating in 1974 he continued living and working in Dublin until 1984 when he moved with his family to Allihies on the Beara peninsula in West Cork.
Since his first solo exhibition at the Project Art Centre in 1974 he has had over twenty solo exhibitions in Dublin, London and Cork, including, in 2000, a ten year retrospective exhibition mounted by the Royal Hibernian Academy’s Gallagher Gallery in Dublin. He has represented Ireland on many occasions in international exhibitions including the Cagnes-sur-Mer Painting Festival in 1981 the Paris Biennale in 1984 and has exhibited in numerous exhibitions in Europe and the U.S.
Charles Tyrrell is a member of Aosdána and is represented by the Taylor Galleries, Dublin.
Image: Charles Tyrrell, D21.18, Graphite on card, 420 x 298mm. Image courtesy of the artist.