The Royal Hibernian Academy seeks a full-time Technical & Facilities Manager to support the technical needs of the RHAs facilities and programme. The Technical & Facilities Manager will have responsibility for delivering, to an exceptionally high standard, all the technical needs of the RHA/s artistic programmes and events; as well as overseeing the day-to-day and long-term maintenance of the RHA building. The Technical & Facilities Manager will work closely with operations staff to manage the RHA event diary, roster staff and liaise with artists / clients as required. The role includes managing external contractors and the Health & Safety Committee. Initial two-year contract with potential for renewal, six-month probationary period.
Particular Arts Programme related responsibilities include:
- Working under the supervision of the RHA’s Curators to plan and deliver the physical elements of exhibition installations to achieve the highest standards of exhibition possible.
- Leading the technical team to manage the physical aspects of visual art installations and hangs, ensuring that professional art-handling practice is adhered to at all times.
- Preparatory work for exhibition installations – including building plinths, walls, window blocks, hanging artworks, sourcing goods/services.
- Advising on and implementing the technological requirements of exhibitions and art projects.
- Along with the Curatorial Team liaising with exhibiting artists to realise their vision to the highest possible standards across exhibitions.
- Technical management of educational aspects of the programme including preparation of spaces for classes, talks, workshops, screenings, performances, events and conferences.
Facilities Management responsibilities include:
- Monitoring of the security and Building Management Systems, including the monitoring and reporting on gallery environmental controls.
- Supervising and actioning the set-up and striking of events and room set-up for hires while maintaining the highest service to artists and clients.
- Monitoring of the building’s technical systems including the lift, heating, plumbing and electricity and arranging appropriate maintenance.
- Leading the RHA’s Health and Safety Committee to advise on and implement full compliance with the organisation’s Health & Safety Statement.
- Maintaining the Technical and AV stores including an asset register of all equipment and the upkeep of same.
- Leading on the upkeep, maintenance and caretaking duties for the entire building and grounds as needed.
- Day to day upkeep of the gallery spaces to include checking equipment used in exhibitions is in good working order and to condition report on the artwork (with the Curator).
- General experience with building maintenance, including relevant carpentry and painting and ground maintenance.
- Experience of building systems and procedures.
- Good time management and communication skills are desirable.
- An ability to delegate work appropriately and follow-through with staff is important.
- Concrete experience in an arts venue handling, packing and mounting visual art projects is vital.
- Experience in installing contemporary exhibitions, especially handling new media equipment, data projectors and electronic art.
- Experience working with artists.
- Knowledge and experience with both PC and Apple computers.
- Experience mending art works and art work structures is an asset.
Please note this position works across all art disciplines with an adaptable mindset.
Remuneration will be based on relevant experience. Regular weekend and evening work will be required.
To apply please email a C.V. & Cover Letter outlining experience and suitability for the advertised position to email@example.com by midnight Monday 15thOctober. Interviews with selected candidates will take place during the week of 22nd October. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.