James English RHA, born in Naul Co. Dublin 1946, lives in Loughshinny Co. Dublin where he has his Studio/ Gallery.
After a period in horse racing, he studied painting as a part time student in N.C.A.D. Studying under David Hone RHA and Charles Cullen.
He first exhibited his work in 1974 in the Tattan Gallery in Malahide Co Dublin. This was followed up with three more exhibitions in the Tattan before staging a one person Exhibition in Gallery 22 Dublin He then went on to have successful exhibitions in Kilcock Art Gallery, Kildare, the James Gallery, Dublin, the Lavit Gallery in Cork and also in the Europa in Brussels.
In 2003 he was elected an Associate Member of the Royal Hibernian Academy and subsequently in 2005 was elected a full member.